Thursday, March 20, 2014
What Makes A Great Smile?
When you smile, the world smiles with you, is so true. Most of us have had the experience of smiling at a stranger and receiving one back. “Your smile is part of what creates that first impression that is so important,” says Dr. Judith Ko from her Hemet Valley Dental Practice. So what creates a beautiful smile?
“We are generally attracted to smiles with teeth that are white, straight, well framed and go all the way to your eyes,” adds Dr. Ko.
To get whiter teeth may be as easy as brushing and flossing daily and seeing your dentist on a regular basis. For some, though, the process might include needing a little extra help. Bleaching or whitening your teeth can boost the brightness of your teeth. There are three main types of whitening:
1. Whitening at home with an over the counter product
2. Whitening at home with a product that your dentist can prescribe
3. Whitening at your dental office
For straighter teeth there are two options:
1. See an orthodontist. An orthodontist specializes in straightening teeth and correcting alignment issues that may cause jaw pain or headaches.
2. If you are looking for a quicker option, perhaps you may wish to consider veneers. “Veneers can not only straighten your teeth, they can also change the shape of your teeth if you so desire,” says Dr. Ko.
Your gum tissue is what frames your teeth. “If you tend to have a gummy smile, you may wish to consider cosmetically contouring it.” The process can easily be done surgically or by using a laser.
Finally, smile all the way to your eyes as this shows confidence. Now, go out and use that smile to brighten someone else's day.