Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Five Tips for Dental Patients
For many, the process of finding a dentist is challenging. Here are some tips that hopefully will make the process a little bit easier for you.
1. Don’t be embarrassed. “We see patients with a host of dental difficulties on a regular basis,” says Dr.Judith Ko from her Hemet Valley Dental Practice. “Often patients come in after having spent years out of care after a poor experience. We understand how hard that can be and work to ease any fears you may have.”
2. Don’t be afraid to tell the truth. “Most of the time we can tell what is going on in your life by looking in your mouth anyway. Being honest about your home care, general health and diet can help us help get to your challenges quickly and help identify solutions that will help you to move toward better oral health.”
3. As part of your health care team, it is important you share all your health concerns and any medications you are currently taking. This includes any herbals medications or vitamins. Your oral health is a reflection of your general health and poor dental hygiene can affect your stamina and has been linked to many systemic diseases.
4. Feel free to ask questions. Come with questions written down so you do not forget in the moment. “We want to be able to answer them,” says Dr. Ko. “An informed patient is a much healthier one.”
5. Recommendations are just that. “We strive to provide patients with the optimal recommendations, but know patients always have the choice whether to proceed with care or to deny treatment,” adds Dr. Ko.
Dental relationships are built on communication with your dentist and their team members. Don’t delay health because of fear.